R.C. Whitley was a U.S. Military Colonel and Blake's superior. The character appears in the 2002 video-game The Thing, where he served as the primary antagonist, and was portrayed by actor William B. Davis.
Whitley collaborated with the bio-engineering company Gen Inc to research on an extraterrestrial being known as the Thing that was discovered in Antarctica, he secretly established a hidden research facility in order to improve on the development of the Cloud virus. He assigned Blake and his team to investigate the U.S. Outpost 31 and ordered it to be destroyed, Whitley ordered Blake and Bravo Team to return to base, however Blake insisted on assisting Alpha Team after losing contact with them at the Norwegian Outpost, which got him unintentionally involved in Whitley's plot. After Blake rescued Faraday, Whitley confronted Blake and revealed that he was behind everything, Blake tried to fight back, but Whitley sedated him. Whitley offered himself to serve as a test subject for the B4 strain of the Cloud virus, however Faraday insisted that Whitley was not suitable as a test subject, Whitley personally killed Faraday and took off. Whitley plan to get the Things out of Antarctica via cargo planes, but his plan was foiled by Blake. Whitley then set his Military Outpost to self destruct, but Blake manage to survive and chased him through the snow field and fighting off Whitley's Black ops. Whitley injects himself withe the B4 strain of the Cloud Virus and briefly confronts Blake at the Test Field, Blake shot a couple of nearby barrels but Whitley is hardly affected by the explosion, he later tells Blake that an evacuation team is on its way to rescue him and he intends to infect the whole world with the Thing. He later mutates into a massive creature, but he was defeated by Blake with the assistance of R.J. MacReady.
- Whitley is voiced by William B. Davis who also portrayed the Cigarette Smoking man in The X-Files.
- It seems that the Whitley's desire of becoming infected with the virus is due to an unspecified illness, probably terminal cancer.
- In one of the computer journal entries, Faraday referred to Whitley as Commander instead of Colonel, which is his actual rank, although he might have referred to him as Commander because he was the leader of Gen Inc's entire operation in Antarctica.
- Whitley's name is sometimes misspelled as Whitely in the game's objectives screen and in computer journal entries.
- There is a way to get Whitley into your team. At the start of the mission do not go outside. Use the grenade launcher and stun grenades and shoot them at the wall and try to hit him on the bounce. If you manage to get him as a squad member though you should be warned, he can disappear at any time during the level and doesn't really seem to help you much at all.
- Whitley somewhat resembles Weyland from the "Alien" and "Alien vs. Predator" franchise.